Healthy Gums for a Healthy Smile
Groupe dentaire API’s general practice dentists offer a range of service in periodontal care. Periodontics is a specialty of dentistry that prevents and treats diseases that affect the periodontium. It consists of the tissues that support the teeth such as the gums, the periodontal ligament, the cementum as well as the alveolar bone which is where the root of a tooth is inserted.
Periodontal care is essential for the maintaining of a healthy mouth and healthy teeth. That is why periodontics is an integral part of the work of our team of professionals.
Gingivitis and Periodontitis
They are the most common periodontal diseases. In Canada, they are the main cause of teeth loss for adults.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused by inadequate hygiene and dental plaque buildup. The gums become thus red, swollen, and may bleed while brushing. Gingivitis is easily treatable by using appropriate care when it is identified early on.
- Periodontitis is a more serious periodontal disease that occurs when gums are left untreated. The inflammation may spread to other tissues that support teeth and can even go as far as damaging the jawbone. The teeth then become loose and the patient risks losing teeth for good. Periodontitis must be taken care of by a dentist trained in periodontics to limit damage this disease can cause.
Our Tips for Healthy Gums
Our general practice dentists will give you their advice on how to protect your gums and by the same token, the health of your entire mouth.
- Brush your teeth after every meal using a soft bristle toothbrush.
- Use dental floss at least once per day.
- Visit your dentist regularly to get professional cleaning as well as a dental exam.
- Avoid tobacco products and limit your alcohol consumption.
- Eat a diet high in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
that our team prepared.
Nonetheless, do not forget that only a dentist, a specialist in your oral health,
is able to make an accurate diagnosis, so book an appointment!