CHOOSE YOUR TOOTHPASTE
A number of criteria should influence the choice of toothpaste used on a daily basis. These include the condition of the mouth, the age and the particular needs of each person, etc. Indeed, it is essential to find the toothpaste that goes with your needs and expectations.
However, the market is full of toothpaste brands, which can make the choice difficult. At Groupe dentaire API, our dental hygienists guide our patients in this search and give them the necessary tips to make an informed choice.
It is also important to know that there are two types of toothpaste, according to the Canadian Dental Association, one medical and the other commercial.
The right advice for the right choice
First of all, you should know that toothpaste comes in three forms: dental paste, gel and a product that combines the two. Combined with a toothbrush that adapts to your teeth, toothpaste is designed for therapeutic, cosmetic and preventive purposes. The main goal of this combination is to remove plaque, bacteria and food residue, thus ensuring optimal oral hygiene for the patient.
According to the Ordre des hygiénistes du Québec and the Canadian Dental Association, there are different types of toothpastes that meet different needs:
- Cavity prevention: Toothpaste must contain sodium fluoride and/or sodium monofluorophosphate. These elements prevent the formation of dental cavities;
- Reduction of dental sensitivity: several products are now available on the market. Ask your pharmacist or dentist about them;
- Reduction of tartar above the gum line: tartar reduction is mostly associated with good tooth brushing and flossing techniques.
- Reduction of gingivitis or inflammation of the gums: a toothpaste that includes triclosan in its composition is able to reduce and prevent this type of inflammation;
- Whitening: toothpastes that contain whitening agents help remove surface stains that affect tooth enamel.
To each his own type of toothpaste
There are many factors that go into choosing the right toothpaste for your needs. Here are some guidelines to help you find your way around:
- For children under the age of 3, choose a toothpaste without fluoride. At this age, children are unable to spit and can swallow a large dose of fluoride, which we want to avoid;
- For people who suffer from bad breath, antibacterial toothpaste should be combined with proper brushing and flossing. Although there are many reasons that cause bad breath, the first step in combating this problem is to practice good oral hygiene;
- For those with sensitive teeth, it is essential to choose a toothpaste that contains potassium nitrate, an effective agent that numbs the nerves of the teeth to limit their sensitivity;
- To be safe from dental cavities, it is necessary to use a fluoridated toothpaste that guarantees the protection of the enamel of our teeth;
- For people who suffer from mouth sores, it is important to choose a soft and non-irritating toothpaste.
Do you have more questions or would you like personalized advice on the type of toothpaste you should choose? We invite you to talk to your dental hygienist the next time you visit us! They have the qualifications and experience to help you make the best choice for the health of your teeth and mouth!
Dr. Sébastien Trudel, general dentist in Laval, fan of endodontics
Dr. Trudel is one of the owners of Groupe dentaire API and has been practicing there since he obtained his dental degree. He offers services in endodontics, a discipline in which he is very interested and in which he participates in several training programs.
Dr. Sébastien Trudel